Though there is no definitive information about what is causing the current trends in prostate cancer, which is now the second most common cancer in men, it is likely that lifestyle issues, such as diet and environmental toxins may be a factor. It is already widely known that the Western diet, high in processed foods and lacking in adequate levels of key vitamins and minerals, is contributing to poor overall health and less than optimal immune function. Add to that the fact that our soil is depleted of important nutrients resulting in a food supply that is less nutrient rich. It is harder than ever to get the nutrients we need.
But there is good news. Compelling research now shows that addressing nutritional deficiencies with key trace minerals like selenium can play an important role in supporting prostate health.1,2
A number of companies see the potential in this space and have developed exceptional, science-based formulas for prostate function and overall health. One example is from Doctor’s Best, which has developed a Comprehensive Prostate Formula positioned to help promote optimal prostate health and wellness. The formula is a complete nutritional package for prostate support. It contains synergistic levels of herbs, nutrients, and phytochemicals that have been scientifically researched to promote the health and wellness of the prostate gland. The formula incorporates premier herbal extracts with documented benefits for prostate health, including Saw palmetto, African Pygeum bark, Stinging Nettle root, CardioAid™ plant sterols, and SelenoExcell®, a superior form of the mineral selenium.
The formula also contains effective amounts of vitamins D3, B6, zinc and lycopene which have been shown to play an important role in supporting optimal prostate function and general health and well-being.
The suggested daily serving of Doctor’s Best Comprehensive Prostate Formula, three tablets, supplies an effective dose of the therapeutic ingredients, including Saw Palmetto, which is standardized to 290 mg of active ingredients, and 200 mg of SelenoExcell®, both of which are equal to the amounts used in current clinical studies.
Another example is Healthy Origin’s Lyc-O-Mato + SelenoExcell®, a focused formula with a powerful combination of two ingredients to provide enhanced antioxidant activity for overall health. Carotenoids from lycopene and selenium are both well studied for their health promoting benefits, and have been shown to produce synergistic benefits for prostate health.
Lyc-O-Mato is a standardized extract of red, ripe tomatoes which contains a spectrum of tomato carotenoids, including lycopene, the red pigment giving tomato its bright color, as well as its colorless cousins, phytoene and phytofluene. Other prostate health promoting phytonutrients, including vitamin E and phytosterols, are naturally abundant in the tomato.
The natural synergy of these nutrients is optimized and harnessed during the patented extraction process of Lyc-O-Mato, which allows for the preservation of the nutrients. The entire vertically integrated production pathway guarantees the bioavailability of the tomato carotenoids at efficacious levels.
The science documenting these health effects is building. For example, pre-clinical studies show the strong synergistic effects of lycopene, phytoene and phytofluene in balancing the growth of prostate cells.3Such effects were reinforced in clinical trials, in which the exploratory pathway analyses revealed modulation of genes related to the antioxidant defense mechanism in prostate biopsies taken from men following supplementation with Lyc-O-mato.4,5,6 Interestingly in several models, formulations that combine lycopene and selenium, as well as other phytonutrients, are shown to produce synergistic benefits to reduce prostate enlargement and growth.7
Selenium is also critical in the body for producing enzymes involved in antioxidant activity and can neutralize free radicals that cause disease. In addition, the proprietary SelenoExcell® in this Healthy Origin’s formula is in its organically bound natural food form for greater efficacy and bioavailability. This high-selenium yeast was used in numerous clinical studies and has been shown superior to other forms, such as selenomethionine, in reducing biomarkers of oxidative stress.8 SelenoExcell® is a Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) ingredient that can also be formulated in to functional foods and beverages.
- Clark LC, Combs Jr GF, Turnbull BW et al. Effects of selenium supplementation for cancer prevention in patients with carcinoma of the skin. JAMA 1996;276:1957-63.
- Clark L, Dalkin B, Krongrad A et al. Decreased incidence of prostate cancer with selenium supplementation: results of a double-blind cancer prevention trial. Brit J Urology 1998;81:730-4
- Linnewiel-Hermoni K, Khanin M et al. The anti-cancer effects of carotenoids and other phytonutrients resides in their combined activity. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 2015. 572; 28-35.
- Magbanua MJM, et al. Gene expression and biological pathways in tissue of men with prostate cancer in a randomized clinical trial of lycopene and fish oil supplementation. PLoS One. 2011. Sept.;6(9): 224004.
- Van Breeman RB, et al. Antioxidant effects of lycopene in African American men with prostate cancer or Benign Prostate Hyperplasia: A randomized controlled trial. Cancer Prev Res (Phila0> 2011. May; 4(5):711-718.
- Kucuk O, et al. Phase II clinical trial of lycopene supplementation before radical prostatectomy.Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. 2001. Aug;10:861-868.
- Minutoli L, Altavilla D, et al. Inhibitors of Apoptosis proteins in experimental prostatic hyperplasia: effects of serenoa repens, selenium and lycopene. Journal of Biomedical Science. 2014. 21:19.
- Richie JP Jr, El-Bayoumy K, Comparative effects of two different forms of selenium on oxidative stress biomarkers in healthy men: A randomized clinical trial. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2014Aug;7(8):781-785.
Inside our Prostate Market Spotlight:
- Research Review, by Mark Whitacre, PhD: Prostate Health
- Product Highlights: Best in Class Product from Doctor’s Best and Healthy Origins
- White Paper: Why Selenium-enriched yeast? Personalized medicine’s most useful mineral